“CHILDBIRTH EDUCATION ESSENTIALS” WORKSHOP
Vicki Elson offers a fascinating, compact, and unique one-day workshop. DONA members receive 8 CEU’s. It’s a free-standing event, but it’s also one component of her inexpensive and accessible certification program for childbirth educators.
Tuition is $150 per participant, plus a share of the instructor’s travel expenses from Northampton, Massachusetts, USA. Tuition includes a DVD of Vicki’s hilarious and enlightening film, Laboring Under An Illusion: Mass Media Childbirth vs. The Real Thing, and other teaching tools. Transportation, meals, and lodging are not included but can be arranged communally. The local coordinator receives free tuition. Contact us
PLUS: Wherever Vicki travels, she likes to offer a free public screening and discussion of her film as a fundraiser and awareness-raiser for local birth organizations.
- Cultural and media influences on birth practices and choices
- What’s essential to teach about pregnancy, birth, postpartum, parenting
- How to make classes fun, experiential, memorable, and never ever boring
- What REALLY works for labor
- What parents REALLY need to know to make informed decisions
- What birth experiences mean to mothers for the rest of their lives
- Fear-busting, baby-bonding, raising healthy happy kids
- Tailoring your classes to general, specific, and underserved populations
- Cultural diversity, competency, and sensitivity
- Activism: educating new parents AND transforming institutions
- Counseling skills, facilitating discussion
- Networking, community-building, continuing education, avoiding burnout
- Designing and marketing your classes to serve your community
She is concerned about overuse of obstetrical interventions in some places, and about lack of access to needed interventions in others. She is enthusiastic about distributing useful and accurate information AND easing information overload. Her mission is to prevent trauma, cultivate love, and have more fun.